The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Grice hears of Gardiner

Dale in "Theory of meaning", online:

"I will give a quote from Furberg below to this effect. Furberg mentions a tape recorded lecture of Austin's called "What I do as a philosopher" in which Austin refers to Gardiner. See Furberg (1971), pp. viii and 57."

We know Furberg was Grice's tuttee.

Reconstructed conversational (semi-fictional):

GRICE. Hello.
FURBERG. Hello.
GRICE. (silence).
FURBERG. So, I brought more evidence that Austin dismissed Witters and preferred Gardiner.
GRICE. The egyptologist.
FURBERG. Yes.
GRICE. (silence). Furberg produces a tape. And a tape-player.

Grice hears:

voice of Austin:

"What I do as a philosopher" "I philosophise". "Not Gardiner".

No comments:

Post a Comment