The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I said it in Dutch

Dale notes in a footnote to his online "The theory of meaning" as he quotes from
Mannoury.

Mannoury:

"From the outset signific writings have laid stress on the instrumental use of language, on the aims of influencing the listener, or reader, or, more generally speaking, the 'hearer' (in the signific sense of the word), for certain purposes intended by the 'speaker'. The speaker has the intention of making the listener believes what he says." (Mannoury and Vuysje (1953), p. 148)."

Dale notes:

"I cannot assess the full historical importance of Mannoury or the Dutch Significs movement, but it should be clear to anybody familiar somewhat with the works of Austin and Grice that these passages contain themes that are deeply related to the central issues associated with the two Oxonians. Further research, I believe, could hardly prove uninteresting."

Indeed. Oddly, when Horn wrote an essay, "Greek Grice" to prove that Aristotle was Gricean, I followed suit and wrote "German Grice" (that Habermas acknowledges in his "Pragmatics of Communication", MIT) to prove that we know where he got all his ideas about 'communicative rationality'. My quotation there is from Lewis Carroll:

"I said it in German"

"I said in in Dutch"

"I said in Hebrew and Greek"

"But I wholly forgot
and it vexes me much
that English is what you speak".

No comments:

Post a Comment