The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Geniality of Lewis

Dale notes that he learned of 'the actual-language relation' correctly from Lewis.

In fact, as Dale notes,

"Peacocke--in his "Truth Definitions and Actual Languages" (1976) (this was Peacocke's contribution to Evans and McDowell, Truth and Meaning (1976))--attributes the notion of an "actual language relation" correctly--as I do--to David Lewis. See Lewis's article "Languages and Language" (1975)."

Dale expands: "I learned the notion of an "actual language relation" directly from Lewis's article. I only learned of Peacocke's article long afterward. Schiffer was deeply interested in using the notion of an "actual language relation" in his work after "Remnants of Meaning" (1987). I discussed these matters with Schiffer in the early 1990's quite a bit. See his paper "Actual Language Relations" (1993) which was published in Philosophical Perspectives. It is available on JSTOR."

Thanks.
I love Lewis. I would discuss Lewis (if 'discuss' you would call this) with G. N. Lakoff. Lakoff has made his views on Lewis publicly elsewhere -- motivated by some of my remarks!
----
I should see if I can retrieve that post!
There was so much of a geniality in the thought of David Kellogg Lewis!
--

No comments:

Post a Comment