The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2020

H. P. Grice, "J. L. Austin on uptake"

comparing stating to what we have said about the illocu-  tionary act, it is an act to which, just as much as to other  illocutionary acts, it is essential to ‘secure uptake’ : the  doubt about whether I stated something if it was not  heard or understood is just the same as the doubt about  whether I warned sotto voce or protested if someone did  not take it as a protest, &c. And statements do ‘take  effect’ just as much as ‘namings’, say: if I have stated  something, then that commits me to other statements:  other statements made by me will be in order or out of  order.

No comments:

Post a Comment