The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Conversational Habits Amongst Oxonians

---- by JLS
--------- for the GC

----- WHEN I HAD TO CONCLUDE MY PhD dissertation on 'rationality' in face-to-face interaction (conversation) from a Gricean pragmatic perspective, I had, naturally, to conclude-conclude. So I found Elinor Keenan's work inspirational -- in a provocative way. For she was saying, reasoners reason differently in Malagasy. The Keenan alleged counterexamples originated outside philosophy, obviously, and they were never really taken up by philosophers. But I did find in the work of M. Hollis and others -- in the field of 'rationality' and 'relativism' a way to connect my and Grice's "universalistic" (or provocatively unversalistic claims, even) with what after Hegel I called the 'cunning' of (conversational) reason. In the end, and the more I read Grice, the more I find the charmingly parochialism of his examples. The manifestation of rationality may still be a manifestation of a universal faculty even if the cunningness of this notion allows us to appreciate it only in a specific spatio-temporal co-ordinate: the way philosophers -- like Grice -- conversed and conversed rationally, in the Oxford of his days

No comments:

Post a Comment