The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Wolfram of St. John's

---- by J. L. S.

In his comment in "Selfish Memes?" (comments), L. J. Kramer refers to the work of Steven Wolfram. (Don't have a search-engine or 'find-engine' rather, as I write this, so, if you can believe it, I didn't find the 'gene' in the link Kramer provides. I did find the meme alright).

In any case a link to 'wiki' (Wolfram) shows this is St. John's (Oxon) educated. Nice his mamma is Sybil, prof. (I expect tutor) of philosophy at Oxford (Sometimes wiki can be so general -- surely I want to know what college she dons -- or donha -- I bet Somerville -- and lose).

Anyway, have to reserach more on Wolfram.

My point was that 'gene' -- if used etymologically -- can mean mostly whatever you want it to mean. And that even the idea of hardware (biological hardware) may be minimised if we think of 'gene' as used in pure mathematics, or at least 'pure' geometry...

I'm going to ask Wolfram to formalise all Grice for me. (or a Wolframite -- these people get to be so powerful, that all the hard work is done, with the courtesy of a good grant to their foundations, by their 'colleagues'!).

Cheers,

JL

No comments:

Post a Comment