The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

The Late Pinter, The Early Grice

--- By J. L. S.

-------- THIS is the unabridged play by Pinter analysed by D. Burton in her book on Gricean analysis of Pinter and Ionesco. Enjoy!

----

A. You was a bit busier earlier

B. Ah

A. Round about ten.

B. Ten was it?

A. About then. I passed by here about then.

B. You did

A. I noticed you were doing a bit o'trade

B. Yeah. Trade was quite brisk about ten

A. Noticed, yes.

I sold my last about then. About nine forty five.

B. you did.

A. Yes. Evening News it was. Twenty to ten. Went about.

B. Evening News it was.

A. Yes. It's the Star sometimes the last to go. O

B. Ah

A. Or the whatsisname

B Standard.

A That's it.

B. But Evening News it was today was it

A. That's it.

B. You didn't have any left then did you

A. Not after I sold that one.

B. It was after that you must have come by here then.

A. That's it. After I packed up

B. But you didn't stop here

A. When

B. I mean have a cup of tea here did you

A. About ten?

B. Yeah

A. No. I went up to Victoria

B. I thought I didn't see you.

A. I had to go to Victoria.

B. Trade very brisky about ten

A. Went to see if I could get hold of George.

B. who?

A. George.

B. George who.

A. George whatsisname.

B. oh. Did you get hold of him

A. Nay.

B. Not much about he is, is he

A. When you last saw him?

B. Oh, for years I haven't

A. Nor me

B. Arthritis used to suffer very bad.

A. Arthritis?

B. Yes

A. He never suffered from no arthritis.

B. And very bad too

A. Not when I knew him.

B. Must have left the area (PAUSE)

A. Evening news was the last to go

B. Not always the last though is it though

A. No. Sometimes it's the News.

Other times is one of them others.

No way of telling beforehand.

Until you've got your last one left, of course.

Then you can tell which one it's going to be.

B. Yes.

A. Oh yes. (PAUSE)

Must have left the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment