The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Well" Done Grice

----- J. L. S.


KRAMER, in comment to 'In defence of particularised' recounts a lovely passage from White's Charlotte's Webb and writes:

"If my wife were to ask me whether someone is "a true friend." I might say, "well, he's a good writer," meaning "he's not a true friend". Because, between my wife and me, the question would invoke the general (by my usage) rule [of this White item]."

What a beautiful example!

A: Is he a true friend?
B: He is a good writer.

A: Is he a good writer?
B: He is a true friend.

--- "Well"-done versions

A: "Well, he is a good writer"

A: "Well, he is a true friend"

The 'well' seems utterly otiose in that scenario. People do use 'well' but one wonders. It's loverly to utter otiosities, but recall --

"What is not worth saying, it's not worth putting in symbols"

Oops. The other way round,

"If you can't put it in symbols, it's not worth saying"

I _love_ 'well', but it features seldom in the writings by Darwin, so one wonders:

"Well, the descent of man is an ape".

Etc. I suppose 'well' is such a conversational trick that Grice WILL have a say on the matter.

His first example of implicature (in the published "Logic and Conversation"). As I have unburied elsewhere (apres Chapman no doubt, he dwelt on them as early as 1964, and called them thus -- implicatures -- in full blown. Yet to be recognised by the OED3, if at all.

How is Smith getting on in his new job in the bank.
He hasn't been to prison yet.

Logical form:

NOT ((SMITH, PRISON) GO)

-- No place for the 'well'. But it's the 'well' he does care to hand-write in his notes:

He actually provides a full prefaces to the implicature-triggerer:

"Oh, quite well, I think: he likes
his colleagues, and he hasn't
been to prison, yet." (WoW:24)

True, this is a truth-conditional 'well': it means, he is getting on well. But I can imagine:

Well, he hasn't been to prison yet.

----

Why does 'well' trigger an implicature? What is the logical form of 'well'.

To ask for the _meaning_ of 'well' seems otiose. It is an adverb meaning, 'good'. As in

How are you?
Well, good.

---

It's a sentential modifier of the type that both Kramer and I adore:

Welly well, well done, Grice.

So the modification is a nod on the wellness of the whole utterance:

"Well, he is a true friend"

I.e.

GOODNESS (x = utterance: SMITH (FRIEND, TRUE) IZZ)).

On the other hand, there is like the ironism. An ironism is not an irony, it's an item-that-carries-an-irony. Perhaps things are NOT that 'well' that's why we care to say 'well'

--- In this respect, it compares to

"He could care less"

As I read from an online source

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2007/06/meet_the_new_cl.html

"I don't know if "I could care less" [or 'well'. JLS]
represents a change of meaning since I doubt
it was ever used to indicate anything than what
it now means, namely that I don't care [or that the
thing I'm uttering is not as well as it should be. JLS].
I suspect this is actual a nasty case of
what Philosophers call conversational implicature.
On this view, due to H. P. Grice, what a sentence
means is often straightforward, but what the
sentence gets across also may include some
additional implication. In general the
implication is drawn from the fact that the
person thought it was cooperative to give
the information. So in this case the idea
would be that while one is saying that
one could care less, one is implying that
this is something that needs saying because
were it not said people would naturally
assume this not to be the case. So "I
could care less" [ or "Well, p". JLS] carries
with it an implicature that it might be hard
to think of how I could care less [or how things
could be improved. JLS]"

Alas the Chicago-Tribune correspondent received a pretty rough handling by another one:

"Nonsense. "I could care less" is simply a
misstatement, a soleciem, or, if you want
to be charitable, a shortened or elided form
for euphonic, prosodic reasons, of the expression
"I couldn't care less" and not some ironic
understatement or whatever you're implying Grice
is. Stop someone who says "I could care less"
[or "Well, pee" JLS] sometime and ask them,
"Wait, don't you mean you could NOT care less."
[or "Wait, can't you wait?"]. And that person
will say, "Well, yes, that's what I mean."
[Or "Well, well, pee". JLS]. But that person
could make the argument, as I would in spoken
language, certainly, that the meaning of
"I could care less" [or "Well, pee"] is clear
to the point of the expression being correct.
In written language I don't think so. Or
"not so much."

Which in a way proves my point that Marx hardly used in the Kapital, or Kant in his Prolegomenon to a Theory of Morals. Etc.

Ah well, as they say.

4 comments:

  1. I think of the "Well," in "Well, he's a good writer" as a verbal non-verbal cue - as you said, a "nod" to the whole sentence - something that we logical/physical distinguishers are quite comfortable with. It's an audible wink, a way of signaling "here comes some wit." Not at all otiose in my opinion.

    "I could care less" bothers me, too. I find myself saying it though, but in my head I hear "[as if] I could care less, [when in fact I could not]" which I think fixes the solecism for me. Many people use the phrase not knowing that they are being ironic - to them it's just a word string that means "I don't care about that." For them, it's a solecism; for us ironists, it's wit. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you.

    Sure, you are speaking de dicto. I think I'm going to interpret all you say as from now on de dicto. And work out of the bucket from there.

    Thus, a clear example here: 'solecism' is a darling pet word of mine. It means Soloi, that area in Minor Asia where people did speak like if they didn't care (less).

    "For them, it's a solecism. For
    me it's wit."

    Yes. I like your conditional expansion of the logical form:

    "[As if] I could care less [when in fact I can't]."

    I also think of Alice,

    "Have some more tea" (I'm looking forward for great opening night with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter but this is the J. D. scene):

    "I haven't had any -- so I can't have more"

    "Oh yes you can. It's very easy to have more than nothing."

    I wonder if 'can't' and 'could' in the expanded version make a difference

    (As if) I could care less (when in fact I can't).

    In a way it's like Carnap's principle of Zero Tolerance. We assume that we have reached the bottom. "We cannot care less". We say "couldn't" but I think we mean "cannot". "Couldn't" has the inappropriate implicature that it may implicate "I can": "I coudn't swim so well then" implies I can now.
    So I'd stick with can

    "I can care less"
    i.e. As if I can care less but I can't.

    The issue is whether he is giving a truthful report. Perhaps he CAN care less. I'm sure people can care less, if pressed. How can the utterer be so sure that he can't care less.

    So perhaps in a not to his benevolence (because to care is a good thing) he just says, "I can care less" but I won't, because the quantity of care that I'm giving to this is good enough. It's not GOOD ENOUGH to call for the unmodified "I care" or the positively modified, "I care a lot", but it IS a form of caring. He can care less, even; but he won't, because he is magnanimous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "could" is subjunctive:

    "I couldn't care less [even if I tried to care less, but I care so little I'm not even going to try]."

    In other words, I care so little that I don't care enough even to verify how little I care!

    It's wonderful what intensity we can signal with something as brief as a shift in mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good. I'll stick with the subjunctive. When I find the romancer I'll report for the sake of it.

    My favourite English subjunctive was overheard ("Misheard Lyrics"):

    God shave the Queen

    -- the site, which I can't like now, and what are bloggers but linkers, :( -- explains what she felt when she (the student) realised her mistake: God had no razor.

    ReplyDelete