The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The PERE, as it should not be acronymi[s]ed

---- By J. L. S.

In my reply to Kramer to his comment under "Who's Who in Gricean" I refer to the PERE, which I think I did mention before, but I'll be damned if that search engine works. I think it does, on Wednesdays.

The Pere stands for

"Ignore Maxims of Blog, elsewhere"

This site, elsewhere, says, "use acronyms". I won't! I think it's Principle-of-Economy-of-Rational-Effort, PERE for short, (c) Grice, 1984, "Prejudices and predilections, which becomes Life and Opinions of Paul Grice" by Paul Grice.

This is formulated variously. But in any case, I'm dropping it here for the record and in case we elaborate on the particular brand of rationalism that the Grice is suggesting. (I think I'm going to start using "the" Grice to to distinguish it from his brother, Derek, and his papa, Herbert). I just wrote about it elsewhere and how they were NOT middle-class but HIGHEST-class, and not from an 'affluent' wealthy suburb. We don't _SAY_ those things (we implicate them).

Grice at many stages and on many occasions does make the BIG BIG point (hence in title of my PhD dissertation) that we don't care about implicatures. We care about rationality! with the Big "R": Rationality! "I am a dissenting, irreverent, conservative rationalist", "and the one to blame is my father, who also was". His dissentingness comes straight from Herbert's non-conformism, so what can you expect.

Things can and will be argued. Herbert mainly argued with his wife's sister: a converted Catholic. Grice was, perhaps, lucky, to be able to argue with some lah-di-dah as (sic) he met at St. John's! But it's the same old story!

---- Your love him or leave him!

Etc (I think my headache will subside by tomorrow).

Cheers,

JL

Etc. JLS

No comments:

Post a Comment