The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

TFT

---- By J. L. S.

"Tit for tat,
butter for fat;
if you kill my dog,
I'll kill your cat."


The problem with conditionals:

p --> q

If you kill my dog, I kill your cat.

-- I want to emphasise the nursery rhyme version of this sometimes obliterated by Axelrod.

As I read in a bazaar:

"If you break it, you bought it"

Why does this conditional strike as _odd_.

"if you kill my dog,...
I kill your cat".

We idea is to try to see this harmlessly enough as a truth-functional 'if'. It has all the appearance of it.

Thus, no inferrability to be 'implicated', because it can be defeated.

So give me your tit anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment