The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

"Somewhere in Paddington"

--- by J. L. Speranza
------- for the Grice Club.

"And then she asked me where I lived. "Paddington," I said, assertively. "You live in a railway station, _then_, Mr. Ryder". I was taken aback.

---

In the adaption as dir. J. J. with Matthew Goode and Emma Thompson ("Brideshead Revisited") this goes:

Lady M.: And where do you live, Mr. Ryder?
Ryder: Paddington.
Lady M: You live in a railway station, Mr Ryder?
Ryder. Allow me to correct myself: "near" Paddington.

I submit that Ryder's second utterance IS FALSE. "Paddington" was thus called because of an area. It never meant to just NAME the premises of the railway station. So, Ryder lived IN Paddington, not "near" Paddington, which would be false.

---- People!

Grice was too much of a snob, "Somewhere in the South of France" (WoW:ii). Cfr. with the vulgar, "Somewhere in the south of France". "The South of France", versus "the south of France" is a matter of INTONATION. Surely you cannot "pronounce" the capital C, so what is Grice talking here?

Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment