The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Coooperative Principle In Time of War

--- By J. L. Speranza
----- for the Grice Club.

Cooperative Principle in Time of War?

THIS SHOULD READ, "THE" cooperative principle in time of war, but hey, "La Boheme" is playing locally, and I refer to it as "Boheme" so there.

In any case, the defamation and the breach of peace had occurred before, I think, or at least, feature in the wiki entry, I think, on 'fighting words'.

In Caeteris Paribus Grice, Kramer writes:

"[My] distinction is not between content and non-content, but between obnoxious content and harmful content: the utterance of the latter is the physical device by which a prohibitable logical act (defamation, breach of the peace, etc.,)"

I like the 'etc.', since I was asking for listing of things. I guess I do not understand the 'breach of the peace', or rather, I play dumb to seem NOT to understand!?

I suppose I am reminded of ... WAR!

Chamberlain in 1939!

Hitler declared war? No. He invated Poland.

Gric. --, oops, I mean Chamberlain declared war.

---- 'breach of the peace' apparently HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, since it applied to burning a flag in your neighbour's front yard, but hey... I'm interested.

It is often said that enemies never abide by the cooperative principle. But isn't the Geneva Convention ALL about it?

Consider a truce in a battle. I'm not sure if the Spartans abode by such things, but I would think they did.

Everything is possible in war and love -- they say, right?

I'm never sure what it means!

But in any case, it would seem that while defamation is like 'breach of the peace', the peace that is broken when war is declared or when a declaration of war is PROVOKED -- e.g. by a country invading another one -- is yet ... another animal?

2 comments:

  1. 1. Replace "breach of the peace" with "a disturbance of the peace within the meaning of the local ordinance prohibiting disturbance of the peace."

    2. Continue to march....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will. I mean, I will continue to march. As I'll sing along!

    ---- Anyway, language confuses me. Sometimes you drop the 'the', as in

    "Congress said it", "Congress approved it". The meaning is the Congress, or the Parliament, if you must.

    Sometimes, you grow a 'the': breach of the peace. While you found potestas vs. auctoritas some time ago, perhaps we could explore if it was a good thing or not that the Romans never needed 'the':

    'breach of the peace' --- ruptura pacis (?)

    --

    I suppose the 'implicature' is DEFINITENESS? Breach of the peace. Rather than breach of a peace. Or not. Etc.

    ReplyDelete