The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

La Rire

Kramer:

"it struck me that Grice must have had something to say about humor, which turns on implicature, and, especially the flouting of maxims to create an implicature. Googling took me to the article linked above."

--- I think SHE quotes from a few good authors, but the bibliography is not really available. Attardo usually quotes from general sources and adds his "Griceanisms".

----

Perhaps we need a consideration of humour. Recall that for Bergson it was all about laughter, rather.

Grice could get boring about humour. He would say, "philosophy should be fun" (He meant that philosophy is to laugh WITH, not be laughed AT). In fact, I find most of his examples -- and ALL of his prose -- 'amusing'. I think he refers to this 'wanton temperament with which Nature endowed him'. So, I find all of his (sometimes dated) jokes sort of amusing. INCLUDING:

Have you stopped beating your wife?

--- (Grice 1961).

In fact, I should propose to mark with ":)" where we think that Grice is trying to be funny, and succeeding.

I find that an analysis of ANY PAGE by Grice should yield at LEAST 5 smileys. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment