The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2014

I said it in Dutch -- but not in Amsterdam!

Speranza

Dale notes that Welby's work was influential in the Netherlands.

His online "Theory of meaning" features the following footnote which includes this quote by Mannoury:

"From the outset signific writings have laid stress on the instrumental use of language, on the aims of influencing the listener, or reader, or, more generally speaking, the 'hearer' (in the signific sense of the word), for certain purposes intended by the 'speaker'. The speaker has the intention of making the listener believes what he says."

(Mannoury and Vuysje (1953), p. 148)

Dale has a caveat:

"I cannot assess the full historical importance of Mannoury or the Dutch Significs movement, but it should be clear to anybody familiar somewhat with the works of Austin and Grice that these passages contain themes that are deeply related to the central issues associated with the two Oxonians. Further research, I believe, could hardly prove uninteresting."

Too true.

Oddly, when Horn wrote an essay, "Greek Grice" to prove that Aristotle was Griceian, I was so inspired that I wrote on "German Grice" to prove that Habermas drew it all from Grice (Habermas credited "German Grice" in his _The pragmatics of communication_, MIT). My quote was from Lewis Carroll, which should apply here:


---

I said it in German,
I said it in Greek,
I said it in Hebrew and Dutch.

But I wholly forgot
and it vexes me much,
that English is what you speak!



No comments:

Post a Comment