The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2014

Balashov Sums Up Neale for us

The Gricean-Russellian Analysis of the Referential Use of DDs

(From Stephen Neale, Descriptions (MIT Press, 1990), Ch. 3

Consider the utterance of

The Φ is Ψ

by speaker S, where ‘the Φ’ (e.g., ‘Smith’s murderer’) is used referentially to refer to a (e.g., Jones).

1. S has expressed the proposition that [the x: Φx] Ψx
(i.e., the proposition expressed by the purely general “Russellian” sentence ‘(∃x) (Φx & ((∀y) (Φy ⊃ x=y) & Ψx))’ )

2. There is no reason to suppose that S is not observing the CP and maxims.

3. S could not be doing this unless he thought that Ψa (where ‘a’ is a name).
Gloss: on the assumption that S is observing the Maxim of Relation, he must be attempting to convey something beyond the general proposition that whoever is uniquely Φ is Ψ. On the assumption that S is adhering to the Maxim of Quality, he must have adequate evidence for thinking that the Φ is Ψ. I know S knows that a is the Φ, therefore S thinks that Ψa.

4. S knows (and knows that I know that he knows) that I know that a is the Φ, that I know that S knows that a is the Φ, and that I can see that S thinks the supposition that he thinks that Ψa is required.

5. S has done nothing to stop me thinking that Ψa.

6. S intends me to think, or at least willing to allow me to think, that Ψa.

7. And so, S has implicated that Ψa.

No comments:

Post a Comment