The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Head Gap

--- by JLS
------ for the GC

I WAS MEANING TO DROP SOMETHING on the head gap, and this final reference by Grice (in my "Salva Veritate", this blog) to propositions as truth-bearers and as 'essential carriers of truth-values' reminded me of the habit

--- (gestural)

HEAD MOVED up/down -- to mean ------> YES


HEAD MOVED sidewyas -- to mean -----> NO


While we elaborate on irony in gestural language, I was impressed that Strawson is possibly wrong about 'truth-value gaps'. If they were so basic, surely there would be a valid gestural way to contest:

"The present king of France is wise" (his example)

I move my head sideways -- I mean: No, he isn't.

I move my head up and down -- I mean: "Yes, he is" (i.e. I 'utter' something false).

But Strawson's idea, the third man -- that there is the option: 'The question does not arise' seems to require a movement of the head, or, as I may prefer, a 'head gap'. I wouldn't be suprised if I am reported that in some language in Magalasya (anti-Griceans always appeal to Magalasya for counterexamples) they do have a movement (of some part of the body) to mean precisely what Strawson think we should mean, on occasion.

(For Grice: if there is no King of France, it is true that "the king of France is not bald", and so, to the question, we have to move the head sideways.

Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment