I'm retrieving some posts I posted elsewhere and bringing them back to the club. In one where I referred to R. Dale -- and which got Grice published in a footnote to Ogden/Richard's Meaning of Meaning -- I quote from Dale on Gardiner.
Later, I would find that Cameron and Taylor have a whole chapter on Gardiner. But while they properly dub him an "empiricist" if there ever was one, Grice was rationalist to the irreverent backbone of his self!
But would Dale care?
Cheers,
JL
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
From Dale's PhD NYU,
ReplyDelete"Gardiner developed a number of important themes which were widely influential later, though he was little noted, including something like the notion of the illocutionary force of an utterance and its relation to speaker's intentions, as well as the notion that a necessary condition for an act of speech - as he called it - is that the speaker should intend her or his audience to recognize her or his communicative intention in making the utterance made. This latter notion, I noted, is importantly related to Grice's analysis of the concept of speaker-meaning."
Quite a stretch, no?