The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Allomorphism in Grice

S. R. Bayne recently commented on "Structure" -- a lovely word I was recently revising vis a vis the death of Levi-Strauss. I see him (Levi-Strauss) as a philosopher, when he wrote so much about structure. If we, scruples of Griceans, tend to be more of a 'functionalist' bunch, that's because we want to be _different_?

Bayne comments on 'isomorphism' ('we'll call it isomorphism' he charmingly writes). I was looking for an antonym for this. Of course allomorphism. Inisomorphism is never so euphonic.

Bayne is commenting at a very abstract level of argumentation for or against Russell's tropes on isomorphism of structural relations. You can't get more abstract than that!

Oddly, when Eve Sedgwick died, I wrote an obit, elsewhere, which I entitled, as I believe, "allosexual". She found that '-sexual' is allopathetic, as it were. There's homosexual, heterosexual, and 'allosexual'. She borrows the term from clever linguists (As I do allomorph).

But these are purely Grecian terms, whereas 'allosexual' is, alas, a pretty horrible 'hybrid' (of Grecian and Roman, that is).

More later, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment