The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

"the lady doth protest too much" (At Elsinor)

My marginalia to Chapman's discussion of Grice's visum on p. 58.

Grice's analysis of

Macbeth saw Banquo (though he was nowhere to be seen)

and

Hamlet saw his dad (the King of Elsinor)

the lady dothing protesting too much from WoW:ii

An Englishman knows his Shakespeare. I was always amused by Potter having a _pimp_ knowing and showing off his ken of Shakespeare to a prostitute:

PIMP. I love your Bristols.
PROSTITUTE. My whoa?
PIMP. Titties.
PROSTITUTE. How much are you LENDING me then?
PIMP. Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Pennies from Heaven, Faber & Faber.

JLS

1 comment: