The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

McCafferty

--- by JLS
------ for the GC

--- I WAS REFERRING IN MY PREVIOUS POST ("Vehicle for meaning") to the first part of Kramer's commentary in "Implicatures in Na'vi". He goes on:

"Speaking in a language is just one available [communicative behaviour]. A [communicative behaviour] token can take any form from gesticulation to utterance to silence to body-language to semiotically charged attire. [Communicative behaviour] tokens can be piggy-backed on other behaviors (driving a flashy car, from point A to point B, for example, or the aforementioned attire). I'm not sure, really, why anyone bothers to distinguish one CB from the other."

I love your idea of the back of a pig. I think the pig is possibly the most important animal, philosophically speaking (Geary likes to say: "Me happy? Pigs are happy" -- Personally I use "If pigs can fly" to rebut Kripke's idea of the a priori unanaltyic -- 'a flying pig is not a pig, as we know it').

I think you are right that we shoudn't make much of a fuss about 'distinguish one 'communicative behaviour' from the other'. But surely you are not suggesting that one can mean anything by driving a flashy car from point A to point B. One of the reasons I don't like to drive flashy cars is that they they are flashy. Oops. I see you mean with flash lights on. Yes, that's a trick. Does it mean one may be 'drunk'?

Kramer:

"Implicature seems to me independent of the [communicative behaviour] mode." I would agree, were it not for the fact that 1/4 of the conversational category stuff is 'modus' (or 'manner' as Grice later had it -- he used 'mode' in his previous lectures for 1964). It seems to me that modus-implicatures (e.g. 'be brief' -- in one reading of 'brief' to mean the 'phyisical' device), the implicature is dependent on the mode?

Kramer:

"Rather, I see implicature as the (unspoken) parts of the syllogism entailed in most (all?) [communicative behaviour]."

Or enthyeme as I prefer. I used 'entymemathic' the other day elsewhere in front of R. Paul, formerly of Reed, and he says, "Trust JL", and he said that publicly too, "to use the obscure word". But enthymeme is "not" obscure to me. I use it because I think this genial discovery by Aristotle, 'the enthymeme', later popularised, wrongly, by Grice as 'implicit reasoning' should be given the right label. Of course the label is never right, in that 'thyme' has NOTHING to do with it.

Kramer proposes:

"'If I have a bandaged leg, I cannot play squash tonight; I have a bandaged leg. Therefore, I cannot play squash tonight.' One could fine-tune this line of thought to include inferences from bandaged leg to bad leg, or from "cannot play" to "will not be playing," but the point is that only the minor premise, the bandaged leg, is made explicit by word or deed, i.e., by CB. The rest of the syllogism is already available to A, so the CB need only supply the bandaged leg and, thereby, invoke those other elements."

I agree. I wonder if this is a Greek thing -- i.e. a Graeco-Roman, Western civilisation, thing? I am told that the Buddhists, who are NOT Western by any means, are more 'explicit' about things, except when they are not? I recall I was once meeting with my thesis advisor, E. A. Rabossi, at the premisses of the Argentine Society for Philosophical Analysis (on Calle Bulnes -- we NEVER met in the official boring grounds of the uni, which stank, in parts) and the first thing he said was, "Did you see "Kung Fu" (the repeat), yesterday?". I had spent the WHOLE weekend doing nothings in the streets, so what would I know? But the point, as he boringly continued to report to me the whole episode, was that the "Grasshopper" had been criticised for not being Gricean enough. Rabossi had found an implicature (or something) in something the "Grasshopper" had said of Gricean interest. Since I was only having in mind the hope that he would NOT have me retype the whole PhD chapter again, I was silent and the whole episode went over my head.

----

But back to Western civilisation. Why do we work with 'suggestio falsi' like that? Shouldn't it be illegal?

Grice's example is:

Jill:

"Jack is an Englishman; he is, therefore, brave".

Stupid, "on the face of it" (it's clever on the arse of it, I expect).

For, what premise is Jill 'trading on'? She wouldn't say.

But it makes for ALL the difference. Grice and I conclude (females on the whole are more statistical than males) that she thinks that MOST Englishmen (that she 'experienced') are brave. And since Jack is one (of them) he is, 'therefore' she hatefully adds, '(a) brave (one)'.

----

None of this is even intelligible for Zermelo (or Frank). Imagine if we were to be listening to a sonata by Mozart. "Oh, the second part is never composed. He just 'implicated' it".

Of course, the implicature strikes back (and with a vengeance). Because for NOT having made it "EXPLICIT", Jill should be 'jailed'. Consider: a 'hate speech', a 'hate crime'. "He never used the n-word; he merely 'implicated' it". Huh?

----

Cfr. insults in Na'vi.

Kramer:

"To what extent, then is what we call U's implicature anything more than an appeal to A's database. Where does the implicature end? Does 'You need to tighten the bolt'
implicate 'You will need a bolt tightener to solve this problem'. Or: 'You will have to obtain a bolt-tightener if you don't have one. The store's are closed so you're screwed if you don't have a bolt-tightener.' It's fairly easy to ascertain where the explicit stops and the implicit begins. But where does the implicit end?"

I would recommend here McCafferty.

Of course I never read McCafferty, but apparently Grandy did. Grandy will quote McCafferty on Wednesdays. (Not that he did -- only that he would).

Grandy quoted from McCafferty in New York. Grandy quoted from McCafferty in San Francisco (or whereabouts).

---

In New York, they were meeting, under the aegis of Jonathan Francis Bennett for a symposium unimaginatively called, "Symposium on the Thought of Paul Grice" -- as opposed on 'The Bulky Figure' of Paul Grice? Surely it's only his thought that most philosophers are merely interested in!

The symposium had two main speakers: Baker and Grandy. I know because I reviewed it for M. Costa -- my teacher at the time -- and my clever reprint was reprinted elsewhere. I should pfd it soon. So clever!

It had two symposiast and two commenters, or three. The commenters were given little 'room' or time to discuss: Stalnaker and Warner.

Grandy spoke of implicature and quoted McCafferty.

The year before Grandy was lecturing near San Francisco (Berkeley to be informative enough -- Moses Hall). You see, the undergraduate society that "Berkeley Linguistis Society" is -- And I KNOW because they CHARGED me to have the copy of the proceedings which now grace (or grice) the Swimming-Pool Library's basement) -- was meeting to discuss, "The legacy of Grice", or "Legacy of Grice" for short ("No need to go into definiteness"). The articles were published by strict alphabetic order. Grandy lectured on implicature. He quoted from McCafferty.

Who IS McCafftery?

Andrew McCafferty, if you must, is NOT a philosopher. He was a student of sometime philosopher and protege of Montague (I love him) Richmond Thomason (how many people do you know whose first name is Richmond? Thomason had met with Grice for an "Applied Linguistics" thing (Yes, Grice believed in 'applied linguistics' on Thursdays. This is the Performadillo talk on 'implicature' whose proceedings I was charged for and which now grice the basement of the Swimming-Pool library).

Thomason was then a philosopher (and logician of good sorts -- People use 'of sorts' with a hateful unattended implicature attached to it, so I deafeat that by qualifying the sorts as being of the 'good' 'sort').

When he got tenure at Pennsylvania for the Computing Department, he was all "Artificial Intelligence" (the one I lack). McCafferty wrote his "PhD" (misnamed) dissertation on this and he labelled it,

"Reasoning about implicature".

In a way, it's a rehash of good ole Kroch:

"He ate all of the apple". "He ate the apple". He ate 'some' of the apple? Kroch was irritated by the fact that Grice could 'explain' both contradictory implicatures: "Surely if he ate some (but not all) of the apple, it cannot be, logically, the case that he ate the whole thing (or apple)").

McCafferty is similarly interested in Kramer-type examples:

Consider:

A: Are you playing squash tonight?
B displays his bandaged leg

"thereby meaning," Grice writes, "that he won't" (i.e. that he wont' be playing squash).

Why not 'figure out' that what B meant that his leg was bandaged?

"Well, one can harldy play squash with a bandaged leg; so it's not like the implicature is going to be cancelled or stuff".

Yet...

(Oops. And the thing by McCafferty has the genial ambiguous title: "Reasoning about implicature" -- cfr. my "Conversationally reasoning about conversationally reasoning", in the proceedings of the M. Dascal international conference I shared the podium with Perry and stuff -- published elsewhere, etc. -- "Convesationaly brooding over conversationally brooding over" strictly -- 'resumos' -- pdf.)

8 comments:

  1. But surely you are not suggesting that one can mean anything by driving a flashy car from point A to point B. (I was not referring to flashing lights - "flashy" means ostentatious.)

    Sure I can, if we agree on it. Why not have some Vatican functionary drive a flashy car if a pope is elected and a drab one if not? Or have Paul Revere's tipster drive a flashy car if the British are coming by land and a drab one if by sea? There is a default meaning when "addressing" people with whom one has no special arrangement, but any observable behavior can by agreement mean anything we agree to have it mean.

    I don't understand your point about the modus. What is briefer than pointing to one's bandaged leg? Indeed, saying "I have an injured leg" violates "Be brief" if U can point and A can see. But maybe I'm missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. To clarify: I was slightly objecting to the 'manner' of your 'manner'. When you were saying that implicatures don't rely (or depend) on 'modus' or manner.

    I see your point, and would agree, if it were not for Grice. You see he HAS to have the four categories: the qualitas and the quantitas are Aristotle's main claim to fame (and Grice re-defines them jocularly to mean 'quality' of information -- i.e. good, trustworthy, reliable information -- and 'quanta' of bytes of information. Then there's 'relatio', which Aristotle briefly refers to (but not by that name of course). And THEN comes 'modus' for Kant, which ALSO has some sort of Aristotelian basis -- I have discussed them elseswhere, but I'll be damned if I remember exactly where or when.

    So we have the 'manner' and the 'mode' and the 'modus' which basically all mean the same thing. And you were saying that what one implicates does not depend on what you called, as I recall, the "CB" mode -- i.e. the communicative behaviour mode. THAT I identified with Grice's 'modus'. Oddly, he NEVER uses (but he should -- but it's too late, now I suppose) 'modus': only 'mode' and 'manner'. But why is "Manner" a category which is different from the other three? Of course it's NOT; but Grice, artificially, makes a whole issue about 'manner' ('be perspicuous') and its four maxims ('avoid ambiguity', 'be brief', 'be orderly' and 'avoid obscurity'. Note that strictly he IS being jocular: he cannot mean that there is a 'supermaxim' here which he jocularly refers to as "be perspicuous" -- as some blogger elsewere said, 'clever chap, right? calling clarity by such an unclear label' -- which is somewhat DIFFERENT from (or 'than' as my friend prefers) the sub-maxim, 'avoid obscurity'. How can one avoid obscurity in a way which is DIFFERENT from 'being perspicuous'? Recall that Grice refers to this as "Clarity" in earlier stuff (I think I posted on that in a post called, "Between benevelonce and self-love", since it comprises his earlier schematism of things -- and 'schematism' IS the right word, since it has a horrid Kantian ring about it -- i.e. about the word).

    So we have this bunch of maxims under a category which he, after Kant, calls 'modus'. But in his exegesis of this (motivated that, hey, he was invited to TALK these things over and over again, as it were), he expands on 'manner' as having to do with the 'channel' -- the medium, rather than the message. The how, rather than the 'what'.

    But he is very particular that 'detachability' is a feature that applies only to conventional implicata, not to the type of implicata he is particularly interested in: the particularised CONVERSATIONAL implicata. And how do we deal with 'non-detachability' if we allow that 'implicata' do not rely on the modus?

    If I find the passage I will excerpt right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One caveat by Grice on the 'modus' implicata, i.e. the implicata that do rely on the mode of the 'communicative behaviour' as it were: is on p. 39 of WoW:

    "Insofar as the calculation that a particular CONVERSATIONAL implicat[um] is present requires, besides contextual and background information, only a knowledge of what has been said (or of the conventional commitment of the utterance), and insofar as the MANNER of expression plays NO ROLE in the calculation"

    --- this far is perfect Kramer. Grice continues:

    "it will be possible to FIND another way of saying the same thing,"

    --- Odd, loose, philosophical wording. Surely what one says can NEVER be repeated. Cfr. Herakleitus.

    "which simply LACKS the implicat[um] in question."

    So far Kramer perfect. Yet Grice adds the caveat:

    "except where some special feature."

    -- ie. except, briefly, when it doesn't.

    "except", Grice has it, "where some special feature of the SUBSTITUTED version"

    -- so here we need "e1" and "e2" and perhaps "expression" (which Grice also uses, notably in "Prolegomena' to WoW) is better than 'utteratum'

    "a special feature of the substituted version", Grice goes on, "is ITSELF relevant to", or operative in, as I'd prefer, "the determination [of a strictly indeterminate, he also has] of an implicat[um] (in virtue of one of the [4] maxims of Manner)". Recall that in WoW:P&CI, he adds a maxim there making the thing what I've elsewhere (and Philosopher's Index recognised this] as a 'decalogue' -- i.e. 2 maxims for quantitas, 2 maxims for qualitas: that's 4. One for relation. That's 5. And then + 5, we get 10 (One small problem here is that one cannot really add supramaxims, like 'be relevant', to submaxims -- like the normal rest -- like that. It's a bit like adding apples and pears -- but then, D. F. Pears.)

    Grice goes on: "If we call this feature nondetachability"

    -- he had done that in his early 1961 "Causal Theory of Perception", which alas he did not reproduce in full in WoW, making me having to look up for the ref. in that obscure Aristotelian Society thing --.

    "nondetachability, one may expect a generalised conversational implicat[um] that is carried by a familiar, NONSPECIAL locution"

    -- i.e. nothing that relies to strongly on the 'communicative behaviour' mode, to use Kramer's apt qualifier --.

    "nonspecial locution to have a high degree of nondetachability".

    Which is just as well.

    I'm glad you meant 'ostentatious' car. Oddly, my friend, who lives in Connecticut, thinks that yellow is an ostentatious colour for a convertible. I disagree. I think a creamy sort of yellow is actually the BEST colour for a Connecticut convertible: it combines especially fine with the greenery of the coastal areas I was familiar with. On the other hand, I dislike a blue convertible. Of course 'red' IS "the" flashy colour par excellence. Some people have no idea.

    Oddly, Judy Evans (who we almost visited when in Bath! -- we being 'majestic') told me that in the voice software she was using, when she said 'flashlight', the software 'recognised' fleshlight instead.

    ---

    Yes, a flashy yellow Rolls Royce can mean anything. So point taken.

    I should re-read your context to double check how I could have been so obtuse as denying that obvious point.

    In a way, it's like Cole Porter,

    "If driving flashy cars you like, if old hymns you like, or me undressed you like, then nobody can oppose", or something.

    ----

    Paul Revere had a French twang to what he said or implicated, right?

    --- Later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Kramer wrote (elsewhere) was:

    "CB [comunicative behaviour] tokens can be piggy-backed on other behaviors (driving a flashy car, from point A to point B, for example, or the aforementioned attire)."

    OK. So perhaps you can explicate to me the implicate: what has the back of a pig has to do with this? I'm I guess lazy on Easter day to browse the dico.

    "CB tokens can be piggy-backed on other behaviors"

    I take that to mean, 'dependent' on: i.e. exploiting. ?

    Kramer's range or gamut of examples:

    "driving a flashy car, from point A to point B, for example, or the aforementioned attire)."

    i.e. flamboyant. Of course it takes a non-flamboyant person to _grasp_ that Q. Crisp is Trying to be 'flamboyant' by his pink wig, I suppose.

    Ditto, perhaps with a flashy car. I can see that in the Vatican (I HATE that place!) anything not white is possibly flashy. But do they drive cars there? I have always been safely a few yards away from that horrid place.

    Now Kramer is suggesting two scenarios:

    i. A Vatican functionary drives a flashy car if a Pope is elected and a drab one if not.

    I suggest a variant: a drab one if a female Pope (or Mame if you must) is elected. This will give the functionary free rein to drive his awful yellow Royce in that noisy, touristy district I hate. Every day for some 70 years -- A pope is elected only after the previous one has been poisoned.

    Second scenario:

    ii. Paul Revere's tipster drive a flashy car if the British are coming by land and a drab one if by sea.

    Yes. Knowing the Bostonians as well as I do, I would expect the addressee (if he is a native Bostonian, or worse, if she is one) will take 'white' to be 'flashy' -- and giving free reins to the Brits to land safely. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expect Kramer is using a lot of historical references in American History that goes over my head. But then Grice uses a lot of references to the History of England that go over my other head too, so what gives? E.g. couldn't he have double checked as to who the British Prime Minister was, when he co-reprinted the thing in 1988? True, he died in 1989. But I'm pretty sure Harold Wilson was NOT the prime minister of England then. Or not.

    --- My favourite example of what I call Grice's Humpty-Dumptyism I reviewed for a local magazine I should pdf soon (the excerpt). It is Grice meaning

    "Bring a paper by next week"

    by uttering (in front of his tutee), "It is raining".

    Grice writes on p. 167 of WoW (reprinting an essay which pre-dates the publication (unintentional) of "Meaning", if not his writing) -- this is Grice vintage 1953:

    "Consider the following conversation between myself and a pupil."

    Grice: I want you to bring me a paper tomorrow.
    Tutee: Do you mean a piece of written work by me, or a newspaper?

    ---

    "Avoid ambiguity", indeed.

    Grice objects: "It would be absurd at this point of my tuttee to add, "Perhaps you only THINK you want a piece of written work by me, i.e., that that is what you mean. Perhaps what you mean is a newspaper".

    Grice finds that 'intrusive': "Surely meaning is a matter of my privileged access".

    Grice finds it 'slightly absurd' "to suppose that it is my tutee who discovers that, when I say, 'paper', what I mean is 'newspaper' rather than 'a piece of written word' by the aforementioned tutee".

    "Similarly, it would be slightly absurd to suppose that I might find myself meaning that it is raining when I say, "I want a paper"".

    But he soon finds out that the absurdity is only slight:

    "At best, only very [emphasis in italics -- Grice's] special circumstances (if any) would enable me to say, "I want a paper" meaning thereby that it is raining".

    In a way, it's like when they sing, "When Irish d*cks are p*ssing". Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes forget the international scope of the Club.

    "Piggyback" refers to one person riding on another's back - typically children at play. (It has no sexual connotation.) I used it to suggest that many activities create opportunities for semiotic communication. For example, if I have to get from here to there, I can use a means of transportation that says something about me. If I have to keep warm, or just cover my naughty bits, I can wear clothes that say something about me (or, in the case of a tee shirt, something about anyone or anything - such a message is semantic rather than semiotic, but the point is the same).

    Yes, I was referring to an event in US history, Paul Revere's midnight ride. Paul Revere was the guy whose job it was to spread the word of the British invasion during the Revolutionary War. Accordingto Wikipedia, as a back-up plan, PR instructed the sexton of a church in Boston to hang a lantern signal that colonists across the Charles River could see. (How the colonists would know their meaning is not made clear, but apparently they did know it.) The code was "One if by land and two if by sea." As it was night-time, driving a flashy car probably would have been less effective, so PR wisely went with the church lanterns. Yankee ingenuity at its finest.


    More follows...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still lost on the modus thing. I was referring to the medium of communication - pointing vs. speaking, for example. Thus, I was not saying that the implicature is independent of the manner of saying what is said, just that an implicature can be raised in any medium. Indeed, silence is all implicature, I would think. At least, that's what I think I was saying.

    I came across this interesting paper by Kepa Korta. I wonder what you think of it. It helped me to put some of the jargon you use into context.

    I, perhaps against you and HPG, take a broad view of the meaning of words in context. Thus, for example, the word "pathetic" can mean what it means in "To say that the market 'wants' to rise is pathetic fallacy" (pathetic-F) or it can mean what it means in "Blanche DuBois is a pathetic figure" (pathetic-B). Context disambiguates, and HPG, as I understand it, takes disambiguation as a pragmatic determination of what is said, not what is implicated.

    Likewise, the word "and" can mean logical AND (and-L), or it can mean logical AND, subsequently (and-S), depending on context. One form of disambiguation involves a choice of principal meaning, whereas the other a choice between (a) logical meaning and (b) logical meaning plus sequential meaning, but I don't see the relevance of that distinction. If Spanish did not recognize the implicit order in "y," would we not translate the word "and" in certain contexts as "y después"?

    Perhaps that's a useful test: can we imagine a language in which what is implicit in our language would have to be made explicit? (Logiclandian lends itself nicely as the benchmark in many cases.) If so, what is implicit in English but would need to be made explict in the other is part of "what is said," not "what is implied."

    I think you mentioned Bach in another thread, and he figures prominently in Korta's article. His "impliciture" strikes me as unnecessary in Occam's sense. What I think he calls "impliciture" I would simply call "meaning in context."

    Take Korta's example:

    I have not had breakfast.

    In Logiclandian, that sentence says and means (Logiclandians are very literal folk) that I have never eaten breakfast. In English, I submit, it says that I have not eaten it today. It does not say "never" and implicate "today"; it says "today." There really is no requirement that words mean discrete things. The utterance is what has meaning - the words are merely clues.

    The sentence does, in many cases, imply "I would like some food." Imagine a language just like English except that "I haven't eaten breakfast" is only said when one hasn't had breakfast that day and wants breakfast at the time of utterance. If a speaker of that language says "I haven't eaten breakfast," his English interpreter could translate as "I haven't eaten breakfast this morning and I would like some food." The interpreter would not be inferring from an implicature; he would be translating from meaning. I would put "They got married and had children" in that same model, vis a vis sequence. The sequence is part of the translation, not the inference.

    The line-drawing is, as perhaps Recanati claims, intuitional, although I can see how that might seem annoyingly unscientific and incalculable. For me to say that "this morning" is meant, whereas "I want food" is implied, seems arbitrary. But also right. Go figure. Which raises the serious question, what turns on the distinction? Why do we care where the borders are?

    Have we walked this ground before? Destinational memory is one of the first things to go...

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. I don't think we've been here before, and I'm pleased you quote Recanati (such a lovely village in Italy) and Korta (will check it out).

    I too agree that Bach's impliciture is something of a something.

    Should provide a principled answer to your commentary, but hey!

    ---- Oddly, I cannot think 'break-fast'. I would grant it that they way some people DEAL with it, I share with Recanati the intuition (if he has any on this front -- he is, essentially, (a) French (person)) it's odd that the French call it 'petit' (dejeneur).

    In English and Spanish and indeed French, the fast thing is so lexically prominent. You break the fast (des-ayuno, 'de-jeneur'). I supoose some of my breakasts (like the one I've just had) are best described as 'lunches' (I hate a 'brunch') -- but since I wake up at night and usually break (fast, etc.) it's never a literal breaking of the fast with me.

    The idea of 'morning', 'etc.' that you use as 'quasi-demonstrative' indexicals (in "It hasn't rained this morning" -- "I haven't had breakfast" +> this morning) is usually _very_ otiose. By the time one starts to conceptualise it, it is usually 'noon', by then. Noon is even more of a problematic notion, seeing that it lasts a second (if not less). "AM" and "PM" are important notions, but I usually, while in Buenos Aires (unlike Alaska) I go by the sunlight: if there is sunlight out there I call it 'day'; it there is not sunlight (which I on occasion prefer), I call it "The Night". The dawn obviously brings an element of unwanted conventional 'implicature' to the proceedings. Some people prefer to talk of 'bed-time', but I use 'bed' to refer basically or 'primarily' as you'd say, to 'a bed of flowers' and while they DO sleep, they don't Lie on it (as humans lie on their beds). This is a different 'usage' of 'bed' (or usage of the bed, if you must). Surely not a different 'sense' of 'bed'.

    ---- Etc.

    ReplyDelete