The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Implicatures of Plasticarian

Speranza

From today's World Wide Words,

World Wide Words © Michael Quinion 2013 http://www.worldwidewords.org.


"When Thomas Smith, a chemistry PhD
student from Manchester, was given a plastic
lid for his takeaway tea by the staff at his university
café, he had a novel comeback. “I can’t take that,”
he said. “I’m a plasticarian.”


Quinion notes about the suffix, -arian:

"it’s rare in asserting opposition
rather than acceptance."

and provides an earlier quote:

"Becoming a plasticarian will affect my life and my diet..."

Quinion compares 'plasticarian' to:

humanitarian
libertarian
vegetarian

and as he notes, it is rare to have '-arian' IMPLICATING opposition (or 
rejection) rather than support. But since now, after T. Smith, everybody
(that's  a hyperbole) seems to be using 'plasticarian', it may do to play with
the three  other items in terms of 'opposition':

"I'm a humanitarian: I avoid humans". (alla "I'm a plasticarian: I avoid 
plastics")
"I'm a libertarian: I avoid liberty" -- cfr. the Statue of Liberty in 
Regent Street, London (Sir Arthur Lasenby Liberty (13 August 1843 – 11 May 
1917)).

"I'm a vegetarian; I avoid vegetals."

THE PEDANTIC Manchester TEA provider:

"When Thomas Smith, a chemistry PhD
student from Manchester, was given  a plastic
lid for his takeaway tea by the staff at his university
café,  he had a novel comeback. “I can’t take that,”
he said. “I’m a  plasticarian.”

THOMAS SMITH: I can't take that [plastic lid]. I'm a plasticarian.

STAFF: You mean an anti-plasticarian. Strictly.

THOMAS SMITH. Hmpf.

Cheers,

Speranza





No comments:

Post a Comment