The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I'd like to discuss the material recently presented by Speranza on Grice's views on minimalism and extensionalism.

I'd like to take this in small chunks, so here is a first question.

Speaking of "Reply to Richards" Speranza tell is:

On p. 68, Grice refers to  "Extensionalism" as a

"position imbued with the spirit of Nominalism [another demon], and dear both to those who feel that 'Because it is red' is no more informative as an anser to the question 'Why is an English mail-box called 'red'?' than would 'Because he is Paul Grice' is an answer to the question 'Why is that distinguished-looking philosopher called 'Paul Grice'?', AND also to those whe are particularly impressed by the power of set theory."

I guess I must be one of the extensionalists to which Grice refers here, for I can't see what distinction is between the two examples cited.

So I'm wondering whether Speranza can offer some more elucidation of what Grice is saying here.

RBJ

No comments:

Post a Comment