The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Real Grice

Speranza

We are discussing metaphysics and real metaphysics.

Jones confides: "I did have a qualm when I wrote "really metaphysics"! I think the distinction is a part of chosing languages and methods, something which Carnap was engrossed in, which he held should be done on pragmatic grounds. To much to say to fit here I think."

Well, I would think that, even if not strictly Anglo-Saxon (and what's the good of an item of vocabulary, qua part of ordinary language, if it does not have an old Anglo-Saxon pedigree), 'real' is a keyword in metaphysics.

I always enjoyed Austin's treatment of the word 'real' as the word that 'wears the trousers', a sexism that Grice (in his book, "Conception of Value") finds 'typically artless' while characteristically Oxonian, if I recall correctly.

I'll try to retrace Austin's commentary on 'real' -- as per 'real duck'.


No comments:

Post a Comment