The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Grice, "Lectures on Aristotle"

Speranza

Jones comments on a post on Grice, Carnap and Aristotle:

"I would have thought it the rule rather than the exception that a lecturer pays no attention to what was on be board from the previous lecture (but then I did my best to avoid
attending lectures when I was a student)."

Indeed.

I think Grice over-uses (or abuses if you prefer) the word 'lecture'. William James lectures on logic and conversation.

I think the alternate Oxonian label is 'read'.

"He is a reader in mental philosophy". "He is indeed the Wilde reader in mental philosophy".

"He lectured us on metaphysics".

Officially, Grice's post with the Universit of Oxford was indeed University Lecturer, so that's what he was expected to do.

Note that to lecture is not to teach, either!


No comments:

Post a Comment