The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Grice -- on neurophysiology

"My dear," says the 'very dedicated neurophysiologist' to his wife (Grice, Method)

I have long thought of myself as an acute and well-informed interpreter of your
behaviour.

---- [cfr. Skinner].

[But what's more]

"I think I have been able to identify

nearly every *thought* that has made you [involuntarily, even] smile!"

The neurophysiologist continues:


"My research has even made such a *progress* that,
as it happens,
I no longer need to understand you IN THIS conversational way."

"I am happy to say that I am now in a
position, with the aid of *an apparatus* which I shall
promptly attach [to you head], to assign to each
body movement you make a specific
_antecedent condition_ in your
cortex."

"In the meantime, perhaps you would have dinner
with me tonight."

"I trust you will *not* resist if I bring along
this apparatus then to help me determine,
as quickly as possible, the physiological idiosyncracies
which obtain in your system."

Grice comments:

"I have a feeling that the lady might refuse the proffered
invitation".

------ The idea is that 'why' questions inviting psychological predicates are hardly answered neurophysiologically. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment