The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Impossibility of Self-Prediction or Self-Implicature?

by JLS
for the GC

SIR STUART HAMPSHIRE, who we all love, could be a trick. It may be that he read all about intention and disposition from this essay by Grice "Disposition and intention", and published the ideas in "Certainty and intention". Grice was provoked to write, "Intention and uncertainty".

Grice had claimed that

"I will have some icecream"
"I shall have some icecream"

are reports of intention. "Surely I don't need to observe myself heading for the fridge to know I'm hungry".

Hampshire and Hart claimed that it is impossible to self-predict.

Cfr. Hare on the idiocy of asking,

"Shall I wreck on the sea-shore?"

and so on.

But the point may be implicatural, or disimplicatural, if you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment