The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Get thee to a nunnery -- and ask for Madama there

--- One thing that is bound to irritate some Griceian is the use of 1, 2, 3, ... in stuff such as "Richard Snary" (dick-s-nary) -- I was watching an interview to Cortazar, the author of Hopscotch: the novel, and he refers to a dictionary as the 'cemetery of words'--.

In any case, consider this entry in wiki:

nunnery. Noun Singulal. Plural: nunneries
1.(archaic) a place of residence for nuns  [quotations ▼]
1601: Shakespeare, Hamlet III.i Get thee to a nunnery, why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?
2.(slang) (obsolete) a brothel

----

It strikes me as irritating that they have a 2. I mean. At least it's not coded as a "sense".

There are a few things to consider here. When I pasted it, I didn't know it would retrieve the quote from Shakespeare (I owe all this to J, of course), -- but I note the extended passage sort of cancels the implicature, 'brothel':

'Get thee to a nunnery, why wouldst though be a breeder of sinners?'

True -- a prostitute usually does NOT get pregnant. So, nunnery can steal mean 'whorehouse' there:

"Get to a brothel and apply. (as a prostitute). Why would you be a mother (a breeder of sinners). You just DEAL with them."

I mean, as a prostitute she would DEAL with sinners, not breed them.

But it strikes me as odd that Hamlet would try to avoid Ophelia becoming a 'breeder' of sinners, and just a 'dealer WITH sinners'.

But I'm all for the idea that Shakespeare DID mean 'slut' by "nun". And also that only someone very UN-Griceian would take Hamlet's words at face-value.

When I go to see Shakespeare (his plays, really), I can't disassociate anything I hear with that bust of the man that graces my Swimming-Pool Library! I even have a beautiful replica of the Globe Theatre and one of the largest engravings of the man I ever saw! Genius!

---- (And he influenced Verdi so much that I love him doubly)

No comments:

Post a Comment