The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

"I regret that my poor choic of words caused some people to understand what I was saying"

Speranza



 Christopher Weywant, The New Yorker, Aug. 2012

R. Dale was drawing attention to this (elesewhere) -- and it may merit a Griceian analysis.

(i) I regret that my poor choice of words caused some people to understand what I was saying.

SELF-CONTRADICTORY.

Points:

Griceian:

distinction:

saying/meaning.

(ii) I regret that my poor choice of words caused some people to understand that I MEANT.

---

Strawson's point about 'understand' being a value-oriented concept.

(iii) "I want you to misunderstand me" -- as contradictory.

(iv) I regret that my poor choice of words caused some people to [OBVIOUSLY -- and the joke trades on this] MISunderstand what I was saying (or meant).

And so on.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment