The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

H. P. Grice and J. O. Urmson -- or "Jim and Paul"

Speranza

Veale and Urmson     
I didn't know until I actually turned up to dinner, but tonight's dinner in college,  someone wrote, was a special meal by bequest of composer Douglas Veale and philosopher Jim Urmson - a fellow of the college for 40 years.
 
The main attraction was the choice of lobster or oysters for starter but, since I had soup, it made little difference to me.
 
It did mean a total attendance of over 20, compared to last week's meagre six.

It's actually been quite a run of dinners for me, as on Saturday my housemates and I had a special dinner to which we each contributed a course and then on Sunday my former housemate and his girlfriend invited me for a Greek-themed 'Symposium'.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment