The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ariskant and Plathegel

Speranza

There was this delightful note in today's "PHILOS-L", a philosophy news list adminitered by S. Clark.

It read:

"My book THE DIALECTICAL METHOD (Prometheus, 2012) has not been reviewed,
to my knowledge, by any Hegel scholar who also knows symbolic logic.
Formal logicians are usually unable to judge my translation of dialectical
logic into qualification logic using indirect proof and quantification
over property variables: they do not know Hegel enough judge the
correctness of the translation. And Hegel scholars usually do not know
symbolic logic enough, or are allergic using it to make Hegel clear.
Anyone who might confirm the core of the book or teach me something is
needed."

So I was thinking.

We have Grice's KANTOTLE -- or Ariskant (he used both). And we have Plathegel.

I thought it would be a good idea to review this book, "The dialectical method".

After all, Hegel got it from Plato.

A good 'history of logic' that comprises Plato and Hegel and is written (or co-written) by a Platonist and/or Hegelian scholar SHOULD help!

I loved the author's idea of 'using indirect proof and quantification over property variables'.

And I hope that his note is properly considered when he looks for the reviewer he is looking for.

Hopefully, whatever he is 'taught' he will share!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment