The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2020

Grice on 'ambulando'

But the problem, as British statesmen should have fore- 
seen, could not be solutum ambulando. South Africa was 
too small as the whole world to-day is too small for 
nations to escape from all contact with each other. So the 
almost inevitable upshot of the Great Trek was a long, 
miserable story of friction and quarrelling and bloodshed. 
There was a little Anglo-Boer war in 1848; there was 
another little war in 1881, the war of Majuba; and there 
was a third and greater war from 1899 to 1902. Most of us 
can remember that last struggle and the controversies it 
aroused. I am not going to revive them. It may be that 
people will never agree as to the true rights and wrongs of 
it. My business is not so much with that tragedy as with 
the extraordinary sequel to it. I said just now that I 
thought the union of England and Scotland a wonderful 
thing. Do not suspect me of indulging in enthusiastic 
exaggeration if I say that I think the union of South Africa 
still more wonderful. Let me just put the bare facts before 
you; they will speak for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment