----- By J. L. Speranza
------------- for The Grice Club
----------------------- I WAS READING this bit
by W. V. O. Quine on Carnap where he refers to
the 'graciousness' of Rudolf. Moving! Carnap was indeed a gracious man. Grice was often called 'griceous', too.
I recall Myro, "The griceousness of Grice's ideas knows no limits. He is so griceous with his Gricean ideas that it cannot fail to move you" (Myro goes on to say he concoted a "Grice Rule" to that effect: "If what Grice shares with you, "one of those ideas of Grice's", strikes you as being right on the spot, then it will be most likely _wrong_; and vice versa. He himself griceously allowed me to coin this adage for you."
Consider Schiffer. For _years_ consulting the Grice for this and that. Eventually he got the "Meaning" book alright and in the PGRICE festschrift goes, (I love Schiffer), "Grice will forebear of my apostasy". Indeed, he signed my copy of that festschrift with the words, "That HE may save the Gricean programme, for I won't!"
--- There are lots of ungriceous folk around! It's basically the ISB thing, Schiffer notes, that scares them: "intention-based semantics?" "I rather have Schiffer's after-shave anyday!".
There are others. Strawson, "if and -->" he contributed to the PGRICE thing. "I owe much of this to conversations with Paul Grice. Unfortunately still in the air". He was referring to "Logic and Conversation" which by 1986, when the festschrift was published had earned the award of "most cited philosophical essay in Southern Thailand".
--- And there are other cases. In fact, it is a token of Griceanity that people will go ungriceous on occasion.
Not Grice!
As Chapman notes, "He spent his life" -- and would you otherwise -- "but with discussing with hisself". Starting with his "Personal Identity" back in the day 5th of May, 1941 -- if not earlier: March 13, 1913 -- when he saw the light in Harborne -- to Aug. 28, 1988.
R. I. P.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment