* * * * * * By J. L. Speranza, F. R. S. (failed), &c.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * for the Grice Club.
---- I quote from Chapman:
"In the mid-1980s, Grice was looking back
over the work of more than four decades."
"This was prompted partly by his concern
to tie up loose ends"
"But partly, also, by the demands of
selecting the essays to appear in his
_Way of Words_."
"There was also another spur".
"The Festschrift!"
"Clarendon was collecting essays
in his honour".
"And Grice was naturally expected
to develop some of the themes
of his 'work in progress'"
(Clarendon! Why don't they just
publish -- this remidns me of Joyce
and his Rectification for his work
in progress.).
Chapman adds:
"He would begin with a _memoir_
of an autobiographical kind."
---
"This he titled, "Life and
Opinions of Paul Grice".
--- which is one of the funniest things I've
read seeing that they come from the
very feather of one Paul Grice!
Chapman adds:
"The talk he gave at Seattle
was a sketch for this."
---- This is intersting since the Routledge
dictionary has Grice as being a Visiting
Prof. at Seattle till 1990. But he died
in 1988, so this cannot be a pre-quel
to the sketch, right?
Chapman adds:
"The ORIGINAL, informal"
--- two tricks of words
"title was:
[and here the White Knight started reciting]
" P R E J U D I C E S
and
P R E D I L E C T I O N S.
Which becomes life and opinions."
of Paul Grice
BY Paul Grice
----
For what is life but a bunch of those?
Speranza, The life and death of Paul Grice.
Etc.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment