The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Typo

Jones: "By way of trivia, there seems to be a typo at the bottom of page 135, last para, first sentence final word is "description" and should be "designatum"".

Note that Grice is using the English 'correlation', rather than 'correlatum', so PERHAPS he wrote 'designation', rather than 'designatum', though. One should check with the Archives before reprinting this: i.e. the versions may go:

"a distinction is made between the

CORRELATION

of an individual constant and its

DESIGNATION."

Or:

"a distinction is made between the

CORRELATION

of an individual constant and its

designatum."

I prefer indeed Jones's correction. And would go on to correct where Grice did not correct, to read:

"a distinction is made between

the

CORRELATUM

of an individual constant

and its

DESIGNATUM."

Why?

Well, Grice entitled his book, "the ConcePTION of value" and has a beautiful note on how ambiguous our -ion words are."

conception -- what is conceived, the act of conceiving. Indeed the Hume 'act'-'object' ambiguity.

Ditto then for

correlation -- ambiguous between the correlatum proper and the ACT of correlating.

And

designation -- ambiguous between the designatum proper and the act of designating.

Since Grice did apparently write, 'correlation', I would suggest a minimal correction of the typo then to read, perhaps:

"a distinction is made between
the correlation of an individual
constant and its designation."

--- This, of course, provided that Grice cared for a symmetry or parallelism in word endings!

2 comments:

  1. I presumed he intended "designatum" because he does use that term several times in the immediately preceding paragraphs.
    I guess Oxford philosophers like the latin endings, I don't know where "..tion" comes from.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, '-ation', perhaps? This requires a comment!

    ReplyDelete