The Grice Club

Welcome

The Grice Club

The club for all those whose members have no (other) club.

Is Grice the greatest philosopher that ever lived?

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Optimality of Grice: ∞ and Beyond

----------

Grice played with the idea of the infinity. When I was lecturing in Buenos Aires, I overheard a causal (or was it casual, I forget?) conversation between Searle and Davidson:

SEARLE: So -- how do you like Buenos Aires?
DAVIDSON: Oh, it's fun -- nice weather,
nice people, and I haven't been robbed yet.




I said, "Surely you are not disimplicating you _will_"

In terms of Grice's 'optimality' we get:

i. Davidson hasn't been robbed yet.
ii. "Davidson hasn't been robbed yet" means that. Davidson hasn't been robbed yet.

There is NO WAY a nasty implicature can get onto a _sense_ (or truth-condition) like that. Grice knew it. But people forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment